- “the character in the drama is living with his grandfather… it’s like me in the past.”
- He wore a black V-neck and jeans but he didn’t look comfortable. I could feel his tension. Even during the interview, he kept his fist tight and put emphasis on each phrase. On 22nd at Kyungki, Goyang-shi, Ilsan, I met up with Idol group ‘Super Junior”s member Donghae who is currently playing as the lead role in ‘Miss Panda and Hedgehog’. Super Junior, who had a comeback in July, reached #1 in music shows just in two weeks
- Donghae said the character he plays for the drama ‘Miss Panda and Hedgehog’ (Go Seungji), who is not good at expressing his emotions and is very straight forward, is very close to his normal self.
- He was used to getting spotlights in concerts but in acting world, he was a maknae. “I’ve done about 6 works as a side-character. But learning about acting never ends.. Si~gh.” He was very tense, unlike a hallyu star (of 7 yrs since debut). In the drama, that started airing on the 18th, he plays the role of Go Seungji- a genius patisserie. ‘Miss Panda..’ is his first main role drama.
- Did he have any troubles acting as a character who’s been to jail? Donghae said he is very similar to the character. “I was raised in a poor environment too. When I was young, I had to live with my grandfather (and away from my parents) – Just like Go Seungji.” In the drama, he calls actor Park Geun Hyung as ‘Byungmoo Gramps’, and he says Park Geun Hyung sometimes feels like his real grandfather.
- Acting with sunbae (by 50 years) is hard and pressuring but it’s a great opportunity. He said “Sunbae-nim is very hard. But he always monitors my acting and takes care of me.” Park Geun Hyung said to Donghae after first recording, “Stop minding the camera so much.” The sunbae was able to catch Donghae’s habit left from looking at cameras – as a singer. “We recorded about 13 episode’s worth and I still make most NGs. Haha” (Donghae)
- In the drama, SeungJi likes to look in the mirror while mumbling, “Maculinea teleius, click beetle,..” and other bug names. Donghae, too, prays in the morning when he wakes up.
- “I am very thankful that I am able to act and sing- just like i dreamed of as a child. I become happy when I get to recording sites. I am enjoying it.”
- Donghae has been recording the drama while still performing with Super Junior on the weekends. The most sleep he got in last 4 months is 4 hours. And even during the harsh schedules, he went to learn how to bake, to add more realistic side to the drama. ’Miss Panda…’ is adding more excitement with the patisseries battling. On the episode 3 aired on 25th, Seungji and a patisserie brought by Choi WonIl (Choi Jinhyuk) had a battle. “If I didn’t know how to bake, I wouldn’t understand Seungji’s heart.” When asked, “Who is best in making cake out of all the actors?”, Donghae replied without hesitation “I am the best.” and smiled.
TAKE OUT WITH FULL CREDITS
POSTED BY: https://lovelybaquero.wordpress.com